- With a plethora of free VPNs available on the internet, it becomes quite challenging which one to opt for.
- Many free VPN acts as a reliable option, but in reality, they are a gateway for hackers to steal your data.
- This guide gives you a curated and well-researched list of free VPNs that you can try and if you liked the service, can opt for the paid version.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING THE DOWNLOAD FILE
With every release of a new Windows OS, Microsoft claims it to be more secure than its predecessor. The same was the case with Windows 11 as well.
However, we all know how vulnerable the Windows OS system is to virus or malware attacks. It is always a safe practice to have an upgraded defence system.
Along with an efficient antivirus tool, you should also make use of certain software that will protect your online presence.
As the world has moved everything online, it is obvious that you are connected to the internet, every walk of your way.
So, in such a case, it is advised that you make use of a reliable VPN (Virtual Private Network) in order to safeguard your online data and provide you with the best security.
It’s a myth that only paid VPN apps provide the best set of features, and that free VPN apps are just another piece of bloatware.
But that is not the case. In this guide, we will list down some of the best free Windows 11 VPN apps that will keep you safe and secure online. Without any further ado, let us check them out.
What are the benefits of using a VPN on a Windows 11 PC?
Well, the fact that a VPN helps protect your online presence and data security is sufficient enough to understand the importance of using a VPN app or software.
With the increasing rate of cybercrime across the globe and increased usage of the internet for every task that we do, it is very important that you keep yourself protected from the attacks of hackers.
While a VPN doesn’t provide you with full-proof security from attackers, it adds a layer of protection to your personal data and information.
As far as other benefits of using a VPN are concerned, below is a list that will give you an idea of how important a VPN is:
- Privacy: VPN masks your IP address, location and search history.
- Avoids trackers: It protects you from adware and trackers that would steal your personal data.
- Avoid bandwidth throtling: Often, ISPs slows down or control the bandwidth of certain websites. Using a VPN lets you avoid this bandwidth throtling issue.
- Access restricted content: VPNs also give you the full access to websites or content that is region-restricted, as it provides you an IP address of a different location or region.
- Access restrcited apps: Certain regions have restrictions on accessing certain apps, such as social media platforms. In such a case, a VPN can come in handy.
Now that you have understood the importance and benefits of using a VPN on your Windows 11 PC, let us check out some of the best free Windows 11 VPN apps.
What are the best free Windows 11 VPN apps?
1. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access, or PIA, in short, is a trusted VPN app that you can have on your Windows 11 PC.
It offers certain unusual features, such as the option to select the level of encryption, data authentication, etc.
There is no need to login in order to use the PIA VPN app. The speed of the servers may vary, but they provide good average speeds.
There is a reliable kill switch, built-in ad blocking, split tunneling, unlimited torrenting support, and much more.
Here are some of the benefits of using PIA VPN:
- Highly configurable.
- Server offer decent speeds.
- Offers built-in ad blocking.
- Easy to use.
⇒ Private Internet Access
NordVPN is a popular VPN app that you might have heard of. It offers top-level data security and fast servers.
This VPN has a strict no-log policy, meaning no data of yours is saved by NordVPN on its servers. Though there isn’t any free version of NordVPN, you can try the 30-day free trial, which you can cancel at any time before the 30-days expire.
It comes with unlimited bandwidth support, offers servers in multiple countries, features smart ad-blocking for uninterrupted internet usage, and much more.
Other features include quick-connect, a dedicated Kill Switch, an option to auto-connect, etc.
Here are some of the highlights of NordVPN:
- Offers ultra-fast servers.
- Mulitple layer of data security.
- Gives you option of a Kill Switch, auto-connection, quick connect and more.
- Comes with smart ad-blocking and unlimited bandwidth support.
Another one of the highly rated and popular VPNs available on the market is Surfshark VPN.
If you are really serious about staying anonymous online, then this 30-day trial with a money-back guarantee is worth it.
Surfshark VPN comes with multiple features, including a Kill Switch. This disconnects your internet when your device loses connection to the VPN, protecting you from accidentally exposing your data to the internet.
It has over 3200 servers in 65 countries, with the best possible speed. Surfshark keeps its protocols up-to-date to tackle the newest threats.
Check out the key highlights of Surfshark VPN:
- Provides top level security.
- Over 3200 servers in 65 countries.
- Offers features such as Kill Switch.
- Multi-hop and split tunnelling tools.
⇒ Surfshark VPN
If you are looking for a VPN but want to test the waters before subscribing to the full version, then you can try CyberGhost VPN.
CyberGhost includes over 7,900 VPN servers from which to connect, which is quite impressive.
Other features, such as the option to one-click connect, fast and reliable servers, unlimited torrenting, region-restricted streaming, etc., make this VPN a good option.
CyberGhost VPN also features ad-blocking, Wi-Fi protection, a kill switch, and never stores your data traffic on its servers.
Below are some of the key features of CyberGhost VPN:
- Provides 256 AES encryption.
- Has built-in Kill Switch.
- Offers over 7,900 servers.
- Comes with ad-blocking as well.
⇒ CyberGhost VPN
TunnelBear is another alternative if you are looking for a great VPN for your Windows 11 PC. If you want to use the basic version or the free version of TunnelBear, then you get only 500MB of data a month.
Though it may sound very limited, it gives you access to its full server network. And there are over 100 servers in over 40 countries across the globe.
However, there is a nice way to get extra data with TunnelBear. You can tweet about TunnelBear VPN and get 1GB of free data.
TunnelBear VPN is easy to use, provides password and data protection, and also prevents IP-based tracking.
Check out the best features of TunnelBear:
- Free version gives you access to all its servers.
- Provides top-notch protection.
- Offers servers from 49 countries.
- VPN speed is fairly consistent.
ProtonVPN is a reliable free Windows 11 VPN app that comes with many features that you can use for free.
To start off, there is no bandwidth cap or anything of the sort, and you can browse and stream content without any restrictions.
With the free version, you get access to two dozen servers from three countries. ProtonVPN’s free version does not include any ads, which is a nice deal.
The user interface is clean and clutter-free, and it comes with multi-platform support. As far as security is concerned, your data is protected by 256-bit AES encryption. ProtonVPN also offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch.
Here are some of the key features of ProtonVPN:
- No bandwidth cap.
- Free version does not feature any ads.
- It offers multi-platform support.
- The servers are some of the fastest for free VPN apps.
Hide.me offers some of the best free VPN services that you can find from a VPN app. It gives you access to five of its servers and includes 10GB of data usage per month.
There is no bandwidth throttling. If you opt for the paid plan, then you get access to over 2,000 servers in 75 countries.
Even with the free plan, it gives you the best protection, allowing you to surf the internet tension-free.
The best part is that Hide.me VPN does not require you to input your credit card details or sign up to its platform to use the free plan.
Below are some of the best features of Hide.me VPN:
- No signup or payment necessary for free plan usage.
- Offers 10GB of data per month with the free plan.
- Over 2,000 servers in over 75 countries.
- 24/7 live chat support.
⇒ Hide.me VPN
8. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield is a free VPN that you can opt for as it gives you 15GB of free data per month, which might be sufficient for many users. Do note that you only get 500MB per day.
The only downside to the free service is that it gives you access to only one server in the US, which often provides average speed.
But there are features just like popular VPNs, such as a Kill Switch, AES 256-encryption, and IP or DNS leak protection.
For the Windows app, you do not need to sign up or register in order to use Hotspot Shield VPN.
Check out the key highlights of Hotspot Shield:
- The free version gives you 15GB of data per month (500MB per day).
- Allows access to region-restricted content.
- There is no need to sign up or register.
- It provides a kill switch, AES 256-encryption, and more.
⇒ Hotspot Shield
What things should I keep in mind before selecting a free VPN?
Free products always have an eye-catching appearance and tend to provide you with all the features that you would get from a paid product.
But most often, that is not the case. While the above mentioned VPNs are some of the best and most reliable VPNs that come with a free version, there are a plethora of free VPNs that are available.
We recommend that you go with the above-mentioned options, but if you choose another VPN app, keep the following points in mind:
- Free VPNs often log your data traffic and ultimately sell your data to ad companies.
- Free VPNs come with weak security and protection. Thus, they are more prone to data leaks.
- Hackers inject viruses or malware via an app posing as a VPN app. So, a strict background check is very important before downloading a free VPN.
- Some free VPNs do not unblock region-restricted content.
- Free VPNs may bombard you with ads.
- Several free VPNs also track your online activity to target you with ads.
The above list contains some of the best free Windows 11 VPN apps that you should try out to keep your internet presence anonymous.
Let us know in the comments below which one of the above-mentioned VPNs you choose for your internet safety.