Searching for best document scanning software for your Windows device? We got it covered for you. Stay glued till the end of the article to find the best free scanner software for Windows 10, 11 or other older version devices.
Let’s not talk about the tremendous programs and hacks that this temporary technology is gearing up with everyday. Since we are not living in an oblivion far from the reach of this steady evolution, we are perhaps introduced with the convenience of many free document scanning software that, once upon a time, used to be traditional. Today, through this article, we are going to shed some light upon the best document scanner software that you can use in 2023.
Why Free Scanner Software?
You have a bountiful of reasons to acknowledge that have accelerated the need of document scanning software for PC and mobile phones and have vanquished the hustle and bustle of to-dos. Here are the results that can prompt you to ease yourself with this helpful and quick tool.
- The first and most important reason to install a scanner software free is that using it rids you of the baggage of physical documents and more or less, aids in the contribution towards the environment. (Don’t underestimate the less paper-faced clutter in your office.)
- With free scanner software you can preserve the documents you cannot afford to cast off.
- Scanner software for PC or mobile phones will help you in effortlessly editing the documents.
- It favors efficiency and promotes easy sharing.
Read Also: Best Free PDF Editing Software For Windows
What Are the Best Free Document Scanner Software for Windows 10?
There is more than just a single best free scanning software for Windows 10 because of amplified and varied features offered by many PDF scanners that touch different standards of requirements. We have collected the best free scanner software that certainly makes the document errands run smoothly and efficiently along with many other well-engineered features that you may want to use in future. Go through the list to find the perfect document scan software freeware or a paid version that fits in well with your requirements.
NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2) is an amazing free scanner software to humble you with its relaxing functionality. For those who are keen to save their precious time and avoid hand-wringing on multiple clicks, this best document scanner software is a boon.
Notable Features of NAPS2:
- This PDF scanner is compatible with all file formats.
- The OCR tool (Optical Character Recognition) supports over 100 languages.
- It supports WIA and TWAIN.
- It allows you to combine documents along with tweaking and finishing the resolution, paper size and more.
- It is open source and also makes the process of scanning documents fast and effortless.
- Easy-to-use interface
- In built OCR engine
- WIA & TWAIN support
- Open source
- Available for Free
CamScanner is another free scanner software for Windows PC users to help them with the editing, conversion and even, wireless printing functions. It is one of the best photo and document scanning software available out there.
Notable Features of CamScanner:
- OCR is supported by this document scanning utility.
- It allows you to sync, share and combine the data.
- You can go for wireless printing.
- It features auto-correction of images.
- It has a user-friendly interface.
- Intuitive and clear User interface
- Combine multiple images
- Advanced Features
- Eliminate background elements.
- Multiple in app purchases
- Occupies large space
The next alternative for a free scanner app Windows 10 is ScanSpeeder. It is one of the best document scanner software for Windows 10 to use easily. Even if you are not a techy person, this tool will help you in the smoothest and most efficient way possible, be it editing the documents and photos or sharing them.
Read Also: How to Turn PDF into Word Document
Notable Features of ScanSpeeder:
- ScanSpeeder allows you to crop, straighten and adjust the overall composition of documents and photos.
- It is easy-to-use and delivers the functionality in a snap.
- It has a free trial version to let you explore its supersmooth service.
- Can be used for both personal and professional purposes
- Automatic backup to keep data safe
- Notifies if automatic Backup process fails
- Restoration of data is easy
- Functionality is weak
- Basic features only
Get yourself relaxed with this best free scanner software with a graphic user interface. It converts documents into PDF and supports multiple file formats at your best convenience. It offers free as well as pro version.
Notable Features of PaperScan:
- It features the flatbed support.
- It supports multiple file formats including PDF, JPEG, PNG, JBIG2 and TIFF.
- It has integration with WIA and TWAIN.
- It features auto-correction of images.
- Free Version Available
- Encrypted PDFs
- Multiple device support
- Over 30 languages supported
- Annoying ads
- Free version offer basic functions only
Made for the hassle-filled times when you just wish to save added office tasks, or to convert them into the quickest pace, CloudScan is everything you need. This free scanner software for PC features a user-friendly interface and allows you to share the files with other networks.
Notable Features of CloudScan:
- It features easy sharing with networks.
- It allows you to scan and convert files steadily.
- It allows you to edit the documents easily.
- Beginner friendly interface
- Simple settings
- Does not require any additional set up
- Reads invoice layout for any doc
- Advanced features missing
- Pricing is comparatively higher
Make most of the digital perks to use for documents with this amazing PDF scanner application for PC. It comes with a number of easy to use features, making it one of the best document scanner software for Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Notable Features of SimpleIndex:
- It is time-saving and affordable.
- It indexes the documents in sequence.
- It supports ISIS and TWAIN.
- Clean and easy interface
- Electric Imprinting
- Reliable software
- OMR option to mark checkboxes
- Cons of SimpleIndex
- Bit Expensive
- Cannot be integrated with mobile device
- Compatible with Windows device only
7. HP Scan and Capture
Rejoice in this free document scanning software made for Windows 10. HP Scan and Capture tool allows you to convert the document into PDF and then save it in the local storage. Let’s have a look at some of its other potent offerings that make it one of the best free document scanner software available for Windows users.
Read Also: How to Convert PDF to Excel Offline
Notable Features of HP Scan and Capture:
- It features easy document management as it detects HP devices and allows users to scan and edit the documents.
- It is compatible with other devices.
- Files can easily be saved in local storage.
- Scan documents in bulk
- Handwritten docs can also be scanned
- Simple UI
- Only available for Windows
8. Office Lens
Office Lens is known as the best PDF scanner application for Windows 10 operating system and lets you convert your documents into PDF and share them. It betters productivity and is incredibly useful in enhancement of various types of files.
Notable Features of Office Lens:
- It can be accessed in both the Windows and the mobile phones.
- This free scanner software supports OCR (optical character recognition) functionality.
- The files can be saved in local storage types such as PDF, picture, Word or Excel.
- Easy to use
- Scan documents through different devices
- Complete integration with OneDrive
- Easy sharing and accessibility
- Available for free
- OCR feature requires manual work
- Default options are ordinary
9. Free Scanner
As the name suggest the free scan software Free scanner is packed with essential features. This free scanning software for Windows 10 may prove to be of big help to you. Enhance document scanning efficiency with this amazing free scanner software which features an user-friendly interface.
Notable Features of Free Scanner:
- It is compatible with the network scanners.
- It supports various file formats.
- It supports Windows 10, 8 and 7.
- Simple to use
- Beginner friendly
- Supports multiple languages
- Multiple scanning options
- Poor UI
- Performance issues
10. PDF Document Scanner
This easy-on-mind PDF scanner software free features important functions such as scanning, editing, conversion of files into other formats. Apart from this, below are some of its prominent features that make it one of the best scanner applications to scan documents to PDF.
Notable Features of PDF Document Scanner:
- It allows adjustment and enhancement of documents.
- The digitized files can be saved to external sources and cloud storage.
- It is free to use.
- Customize documents
- Scan multiple file formats
- Open source and Free
- Available for multiple formats
- Does not support low end devices
11. Readiris Pro
Readiris Pro is one of the best document scanner software for PC offering you multiple choices in editing and converting any document in required format. Moreover, it is user-friendly and is compatible with all editions of Microsoft Windows operating system.
Read Also: Best Duplicate Photo Finder for Windows 10
Notable Features of Readiris Pro:
- It supports all file formats such as PDF, JPEG, HTML, TXT, GIF, PNG and more.
- It features GUI and supports TWAIN.
- It supports over 130 languages.
- It features easy sharing.
- Graphical user Interface is highly intuitive
- Share Text with users for reviews
- Convert video to audio files
- Add digital signatures to your docs for data security
- Convert docs to PDFs
- Keyboard shortcuts are missing
- Multiple pricing plans makes it complicated to work on Free version
- Toggle between different functions is difficult
12. Alaris Capture Pro
Alaris Capture Pro is one of the best document scanning software for Windows 10 that comes with a lot of amazing features. It has functions such as data indexing, neat scanning along with its ability to scan multiple documents and data capturing.
Features of Alaris Capture Pro:
- It features OCR and barcode reader.
- It allows the conversion of PDFs into editable documents.
- It features the barcode reader.
- It supports WIA and TWAIN.
- HD images with the Perfect Page feature
- Workflows are streamlines
- Microsoft SharePoint integration
- Free version has limited features
- No option for single document scans
- Rotate, crop, or other basic features missing.
13. Adobe Acrobat DC
If there is a software in this list which you may already be familiar with, it has to be Adobe Acrobat DC. It is a go-to PDF scanner for its exciting features that you cannot skip. View, edit, print the documents and you can share them with multiple users. Let’s stretch a little more to the parameters of its multiple features.
- Share, edit, scan, and even sign.
- It renders your data secure if you are an individual user.
- It makes words such as collaborate and organise sound handy and easy.
- It is integrated with Adobe Document Clouds and thus, the commenting and sharing come easy.
- Not to mention, you have a choice to archive and store the files.
- Simple User interface
- Quick searches with indexing feature
- Edit data and texts even in the tables
- Maintain consistency through Templates
- Issues while launching
- Frequent Freezes and crashes
14. ABBYY Fine Reader
Here comes the next one on our list of best document scanning software i.e ABBYY fine reader. For all those who are looking for a professional photo and document scanning tool, ABBYY Fine Reader can be the best free document scanner software to use. This file sharing software offers a huge list of features that makes it easy for you to scan and edit the document easily. Apart from just editing all the documents single-handedly, you can collaborate with your colleagues and edit in real-time.
Notable Features of ABBYY Fine Reader
- Using ABBYY Fine Reader you can convert into various formats.
- It lets you compare various documents of different formats easily.
- The software offers high document accuracy.
- You can edit in real time with your colleagues.
- Supports multiple languages
- Advanced functionalities available
- Simple and intuitive interface
- Excellent performance
- Versioning is unavailable
15. OmniPage Standard
Nextly, we have OmniPage Standard on our list of the best document scanning software. It is highly popular for its high-speed scanner and the ability to read touchscreen monitors and pads. As far as the features are concerned, below is what you should know about this software before giving it a well-deserving try.
Notable Features of OmniPage Standard
- High accuracy
- Easy-to-use tools and flexible options
- Retains the formatting of the original document
- One-step Kindle integration
- Recognizes 120+ languages
- Supports multiple formats such as PDF
- Support for Microsoft Office, HTML, and Corel WordPerfect
- Converts any photo into a readable format
- Best-in-class OCR capabilities
- The user Interface is clean
- Great Customer support
- Add the required text to your images
- Export docs or images to your social channels such as Facebook
- Limited features in Free version
- Paid option is quite Expensive
The next best free document scanning software on our list is VueScan. If you are looking for an easy alternative this one right here is a beginner friendly tool. One major advantage of the software is you can scan unlimited documents. So if you are working with an organization and have multiple documents to scan make use of VueScan.
Notable Features of VueScan:
- Scan PDFs as single or multiple page documents
- Automatically detects colors
- Scan JPEG, TIFF, and other format images.
- Automatic naming of files
- Integrated Photoshop to edit
- Scan films
- Available for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Advanced controls for Scanning
- Timely updates
- Free Trial version available
- Multiple options to customize
- Scanning quality is High
- Scans PDF, JPEG, and other file formats
- Outdated user interface
- Performance issues
17. Online Photo Scanner
The last tool on this list of the best free document-scanning software is Online Photo Scanner. Just like the name of the tool, Online Photo Scanner allows you to scan your pictures and images online. This makes it quite feasible for beginners and professionals to scan the images instantly without downloading any tool.
Notable Features of Online Photo Scanner:
- Works on multiple OS
- No need to download a standalone tool.
- Instant results
- Simple user interface
- Smart performance
- Reliable scanning features
- Completely free
- Drag and drop support
- Download as an image or PDF as required
- Limited features for scanning
- Can not match the relevance of paid tools.
Scanning Software – FAQs
Q1. What is scanning software?
Answer: Scanning software is a tool that enables editing documents or pictures instantly before storing them digitally. In addition to this, the software can help you convert the scanned docs or photos into a PDF format and make changes or edit them quickly. Go through the full list in the article above to find the best scanning software for Windows 11, 10, 8,7.
Q2. What is the best free scanning software for Windows 10?
Answer: The most commonly used and one of the best free scanner software for Windows 10 is Adobe Acrobat DC. The free version of the software has restricted functionalities that can be unlocked by switching to the upgraded premium version.
Q3. How do I scan a PDF file in Windows 10?
Answer: The above article mentions a list of free scanner software for Windows 10, 11, or older version devices. These doc scanner for PC can scan PDF file and allows users to edit or make changes to them quickly and easily. Adobe Acrobat Dc is one of the best scanner software to scan PDFs, images, or other documents.
Q4. Can I scan documents using Adobe Acrobat for free?
Answer: Yes, Adobe Acrobat enables users to scan documents for free. But the free version of this best document scanning software has restricted features. To use the whole capability of the tool upgrade to the premium version.
Q.5 What is the best free photo scanning software?
The best free photo scanning software for Windows is CamScanner, ScanSpeeder, CloudScan, and OfficeLens. These tools provide some of the best and the most advanced features ever for your scanning requirements.
Q.6 What is the best scanner for Windows 10?
Tools like CamScanner, ScanSpeeder, CloudScan, and OfficeLens are some of the best scanner for Windows 10. Using these, you can scan any type of document with ease.
Q.7 Is the Windows Scan app free?
Yes, the Windows Scan app is free to download and use on any supported Windows device for every user globally.
That’s a wrap from our end on our list of best scanning software for Windows10, 11 or older version devices. These best free scanner software are bagging increased popularity due to their efficient features and added functions that we all have been deprived of in traditional scanning. Besides, the fact that it cuts costs, reduces the utility of paper and of course, eliminates the loss of important documents and of course, saves the ever-growing size of bundles of documents.
And returning back to here, we hope this list helps you in figuring out the best document scanner software. Tell us about it in the comment section below.