You might have felt disheartened by your recent discovery that Windows 10 does not host any inbuilt DVD player. It is true that Microsoft decided to drop the Windows Media Player from the Windows 10 console and instead brought out a paid DVD player software app that costs $15, by the name, Windows DVD player available on Microsoft Store.
Luckily, there is a wide variety of free DVD player software in 2024, available online that can be installed comfortably and is in sync with Windows 10.
We have scooped several apps and compiled a well-curated list of DVD players that you should try in 2024.
Top Free DVD Player Software for Windows 10, 11 In 2024
Out of the plethora of options available in the current marketplace, we’ve shortlisted the best DVD players to help you make the right choice. Here they are:
WinX DVD Ripper is the one of the best free dvd software that you can try. To play and convert DVD on Windows 10/11, WinX DVD Ripper is your best choice. This powerful program allows you to play and rip both copy-protected DVDs, homemade DVDs, workout DVDs and 99-title DVDs to digital format easily and flawlessly. With WinX DVD Ripper, you can convert your dvd to MP4, MPEG2. AVI, WMV, MOV, etc. and save them to computer hard drive, USB, Nas, Plex and more.
The application offers a simple interface, it will be perfect for new users. And most importantly, you can use it for free. With this software, you’ll get great quality output in both audio and video. Above all, you can easily customize features and edit your videos.
- Easy-to-use interface with smooth DVD-playing experience.
- Supports all DVDs and is continuously updated to meet your needs.
- The software supports all-region and copy protection.
- Convert DVD discs, DVD folders, ISO images to MP4, AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV in over 320 different output formats
- Not compatible with Linux
VLC Media Player, a DVD Player for Windows 10 has established itself as a unique versatile media player in the past two decades. It is basically a beautiful cross-platform app and works well with Macs, PCs, and Linux and Smartphone computers. VLC Media Player is absolutely trustworthy and can play all your DVD and Blu-ray discs with ease.
Whether it is a DVD, VCD, Audio CD, or a Blu-Ray disc you can always choose from the Open Disc option of the player’s Media menu.
Read Also: Top 10 Best Video Editing Software for Windows
- VLC Media Player Option offers you the basic video editing option.
- It have a strong subtitle syncing tool.
- VLC Media Player is the most promising media player in the market.
- It is freely available for all PC and Mac users.
- Limitation in playing the 4K or 8K resolution video files; you need VLC 3.0 Vetinari update on the media player.
If you want to play Blu-ray and DvD discs, Leawo Blur-Ray player can help you immensely as a free DVD player for Windows 10. But, you will not be able to play videos with a resolution of more than 1080p. It would help you watch or listen to your Blu-Ray discs on Windows 10. Selection of an audio or video file or addition of subtitles is quite easy. If the subtitles are not part of the original video, you can search the player’s subtitle library to find out the built-in subtitles.
- This Blue-ray player has amazing options for audio decoding.
- It is quite compatible with the several versions of Windows OS.
- Media control menu is highly intuitive.
- You can simultaneously add on multiple files.
- It does not support options of advanced audio & video playback.
4. 5K Player
5K Player is another free DVD player software and it has some very rich options and an extremely friendly interface. This player has some great features including the video cutting abilities, Airplay support, and a variety of different formats like 4K, HEVC, HDR, and H.264 8K and so on.
It can recognize and play Dolby digital or DTS multi-channel surround sounds in multiple file formats like MP3, WMA, FLAC, or AAC. This 5K Player also has a radio player and supports various subtitle file formats.
- You can download from Facebook, Dailymotion, YouTube or Vimeo video content.
- The screen capturing tools are outstanding.
- Streaming of videos is amazing.
- A 5K player can support a wide range of audio and video files.
- 5K Player does not support Blu-ray files.
GOM is one of the most fantastic DVD players for Windows 10 in 2024.
It allows you to play videos in different resolutions and can work on varied file formats. GOM can allow you to play 360 degrees VR videos. Automatic search of subtitles is possible with GOM Media Player. You can also try to upgrade to the paid version of GOM media player if you do not like ads being played in between your Videos and audio files.
Read More: Best Free DVD Burning Software For Windows
Let us look at a few pros and cons of the GOM Media Player.
- System requirements are less.
- User-friendly installation process.
- It works over a broad platform of audio and video files.
- It provides a rich subtitle library.
- For Blu-ray discs, you need more codecs.
6. Pot Player
Windows 10 happily supports Pot Player, a substitute DVD player for Windows 10. Pot Player is loaded with all the Codecs that are essential for different multimedia files. Pot Player supports subtitles from SRT, SMI, Blu-ray, and VOB. It also supports different types of 3D glasses apart from playing DVDs and Blu-ray audio CDs.
- It is completely harmonious with TV, DVD and HDTV.
- You can bookmark various chapters on PotPlayer.
- You can experience a unique 3D view.
- Open Codec support is complete in itself.
- Playback options for audio could have been more standard.
In addition to the list, here is Windows DVD Player one of the best DVD player software that lets you play your favorite movies and videos from DVDs on your computer. With Windows DVD Player, you can watch both commercial and homemade DVDs in the video format. You can watch videos without any sort of hindrance. However, the only shortcoming is that – Windows DVD Player offers only a 7-day free trial with limited features. So, you need to buy its pro version to enjoy the ultimate features endlessly.
Read More: Best Free DVD Ripper Software for Windows 10
- Just insert the discs into the DVD player and enjoy your favorite clips.
- Tools offer simplistic control for disc navigation.
- Compatible with both commercial and homemade DVDs.
- Quick access and more active DVD loading.
- You can’t watch movies during the 7 days of a free trial.
- Doesn’t compatible with Blu-ray discs.
8. PowerDVD 21
PowerDVD is the best DVD player software for Windows. We are not alone in claiming the supremacy of this software, it has been ranked the world’s number one Blu-ray and Media Player. Though this software cannot be considered as the best free DVD player because it requires a subscription to use it.
This DVD player for Windows offers support for every media format and quality. It is compatible with everything from 8K to Blu-ray. It offers the best sound quality as it supports up to 7.1 channels.
- Offers support to all major media formats
- It provides demand access for watching anywhere on any browser
- Tagged as the world’s number 1 Blu-ray and Media Player
- It supports 7.1 channels sound system
- This is not a free software
Read More: Must-Have Software For Windows 10
9. KM Player
KM Player is another powerful and free-to-use DVD player for Windows. It is a well-known multimedia player that can play music, movies, and more. It also supports numerous codecs and HD (high definition) services.
The fully customizable and clean user interface makes it worth trying out. In addition to this, you also have the capability to control the playing video. That means you can adjunct audio, add subtitles, capture snapshots, control its speed, and a lot more.
KM Player can play 3D and HD videos, plus provides a playful interface to enhance the overall viewing experience. It’s a wonderful media player that can be used and is definitely worth giving a try.
- Fully customizable.
- Clean and intuitive user interface.
- 100% free to use.
- Play HD and 3D videos with ease.
- Virus and malware-free.
- Shows a lot of ads.
- The installer contains numerous extra tools.
Let us introduce you to AllPlayer. It is among the best free DVD player software for Windows because of its easy TV series and movie search, clip streaming with subtitles, availability of free internet audio, and a speech synthesizer to read subtitles.
Moreover, automatic subtitle downloading in all languages, the option to set a video file password, and multi-platform availability are a few other interesting features of this software.
- Supports all popular formats
- Movie previewing from webcams, DV, or other video sources
- Dual monitor and TV support
- Dolby Surround, 3D audio, and SPDIF support
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ’s )
Q1. Why should you use Third-Party DVD Player Software?
The recent Windows update (Windows 10 and above) removed the built-in support for playing physical media. Therefore, it gets difficult for your PC or Laptop to play the DVDs without the help of third-party software.
Q2. Which DVD Formats are Most Likely to Function Smoothly on any Computer Device?
The most popular ones i.e DVD-R and DVD+R are mostly compatible with almost every hardware device. If your device is equipped with high-end hardware for DVD it will support MPEG-4 & WMA too.
Q3. What are the Additional Features one should Expect a DVD Player Software to Offer?
The DVD player software offers Burning DVD, editing videos, and other features too apart from playing the DVD smoothly.
To close it, we can say that these 8 best DVD player software would help you immensely and can perfectly suit Windows 10 OS. Trust me, there is absolutely no need to spend a single penny on a paid version for your DVD player.
These aforementioned free DVD players for Windows 10 are enough to fulfill all your multimedia streaming requirements. So, what are you waiting for? Download any of these media players now and enjoy a cinema-like experience from the comfort of your home.